Tuesday, December 1, 2020

How I Added 10lbs to My Bench in Only 1 Year

Howdy!

The last time I posted in here was after I finally hit a 505lb bench a year ago. That post has my full background, lifting history, and training approach. So, rather than rehash all that, this post will focus on what I did in the last year to get to a 515lb bench.

Vid of the Did

Current Stats

  • 39 years old
  • 240ish lbs
  • Still male
  • Still 5'11"
  • Still cheaty bench arch
  • Still no steroids

Pics Since I Always Get Asked

Bench PR Chart

  • 515x1
  • 495x2
  • 455x5
  • 445x6
  • 425x8
  • 405x10
  • 385x12
  • 365x15
  • 315x20

Bench Progress Plot

  • Full plot here
  • 350 lbs at 32 weeks
  • 375 at 47
  • 405 at 53
  • 415 at 58
  • 425 at 65
  • 445 at 77
  • 465 at 103
  • 475 at 136
  • 485 at 153
  • 505 at 175
  • 510 at 208
  • 515 at 234

Rack and Equipment

Training For the Past Year

  • For the first part of the last year, I'd been doing my typical high volume PPL style training. It seems to fit my situation well and has produced results in the past. But, it started to grind and progress stopped, so I switched things up.

  • I believe the Bylaws of Reddit Fitness prohibit me from calling this a “program”, so here’s the… thengie I’m currently doing. This is low volume for me. 30 sets/cycle of pressing, 40 sets/cycle of pulling, 30 sets/cycle of lower body, but I generally take 6ish days to complete a cycle. I like it. It’s simple and offers me a good balance between going all out on some sets but not every set. Before that, I was doing a weird implementation of Grog’s 28 Free. You can find the real versions on /u/gnuckols’ website www.strongerbyscience.com.

  • Running both of those programs was interesting for me. For years, my main training approach was to simply do as much volume as I possibly could. That meant training every day, making lift selections to maximize volume, bulking, and sleeping. It worked great for years, but in the past year things really started slowing down. I finally gave in and tried out /u/weaponizedsleep’s idiotic theory that less volume might produce better results. It seems to have been a good decision and I’ve still been progressing by interweaving periods of high and low volume. Generally, I get PRs during the low volume phase. It’s been fun and /u/purplespengler says he’s very proud of me.

  • Basically, it’s been the same process I always follow: Is what you’re doing working? If yes, keep doing it. If no, maybe try something different.

Other Random Observations

  • My back has been getting a little wonky, so I've been doing more sets with less arch. I've found that ROM bangs up my elbows more than weight does. Close grip, flatter back, cambered bar, etc.... seems good for a pump and I use less weight, but my elbows get angry.
  • I am definitely less good at my max-grip-width, max-arch benching when I do it less frequently. E.g. 1/week vs 3/week.
  • I like high rep BW dips as my triceps builder. 5x40 or 4x50 takes very little time.
  • Low-incline bench makes my boobs hurt in a good way.

FAQs

  • What’s next? I’m going to take some time away from lifting. I don’t know how long. Also, I need to lose body weight. I move, sleep, and have heartburn much worse at this weight. :)
  • Why do you obscure your face? So people can’t see it.
  • Why the funny lights? Preference.
  • Why don’t you compete in a strength sport? The same reason I don’t compete in any other sport… I don’t want to.
  • Have you ever measured your testosteronies? Yep, I’m about 300ish.

Wrap-Up

Cheers!

submitted by /u/ZBGBs
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Socialite Larsa Pippen in Two-Piece Workout Gear Says "Xo" - Celebwell

Socialite Larsa Pippen in Two-Piece Workout Gear Says "Xo"    Celebwell * This article was originally published here ...