Monday, October 26, 2020

My (5’8 174lb, 28) fitness Journey to 2x bodyweight bench press

Foreword

I want to start off by saying I have always been in shape. I have lifted since high school, but recently (last 5 years) got into powerlifting/bodybuilding type workouts. This is my fitness story, but you should only be competing and comparing yourself to who you were the day prior. I posted a photo of my physique on a weekly thread and someone said they would be interested if I made a post on here.

Physique and Lifts

Physique- I weigh around 174lbs here.

https://streamable.com/wd441h

Bench- 365x1

https://streamable.com/1tivf6

Squat- 405x1

https://streamable.com/2q7oop

Deadlift- 450x1

https://streamable.com/x8nocp

Total- 1220

Training

I have been seriously lifting for about 10 years. I did Crossfit type workouts from 18-23. Around 24 I started to do bodybuilding type workouts but could never seem to get any stronger and plateaued frequently. I found the nSuns workout and made some great progress before I injured myself doing deadlifts, I now have permanent nerve damage in my lower back that I am working through. Within the last year and a half, my younger brother started to write my programming and my body has responded very well to it. My programming changed every 4-5 weeks, and he writes up something new every time. Below is a link to my workout I did the week before I maxed. The biggest thing I learned through nSuns and my younger brother is to always increase the weight and switch things up as much as possible. If you want to increase your bench, you need to increase your deadlift and squat. I’m coming off an injury, so I admit my squat and deadlift are lacking compared to my bench. Though, once I started to really add the weight to both my squat and deadlift my strength really started to skyrocket. DON’T SKIP LEG DAY OR DEADLIFT DAYS!

Some of the numbers are a little off, I fluctuated a bit with my main lifts as I progressed through the month.

https://imgur.com/a/JIWxG6Y

Cardio

I am in the Army. So whatever workout we do in the morning I usually half-ass, unless it’s cardio. I do run on the treadmill or the elliptical for 15 minutes after every workout if I didn’t do cardio that day yet.

Training Philosophy

Going to the gym is my hobby. There is no question of if I am going to the gym 6 days a week, just a question of when. 6 days a week may be a lot for someone, but as a hobby, it is just something I enjoy doing. I am a huge believer in the mind to muscle connection. Every lift I do I focus on the body part I am trying to hit. You can read up more about that here. https://www.youareunltd.com/2018/10/05/understanding-the-mind-muscle-connection-and-making-it-work-for-you/#:~:text=Simply%20put%2C%20the%20mind%2Dmuscle,and%20actively%20moving%20the%20weight.

My younger brother introduced me to training rest-pause sets. These were huge in my last month of building strength. I really like to push myself hard during these sets. One thing I struggled with understanding was working sets. Just recently (within the last 2 years) I started to do proper warm-ups before pushing myself in the 2-3 sets that mattered.

I consider myself a PowerBuilder. I love powerlifting, but I do like to do some accessory work. My goal isn’t to look like a bodybuilder, but I still want to look thick and strong. I have always believed that with strength comes size. If you want to get bigger and you’re not in the 1000lbs club you should try to get there. Stronglifts has an awesome article on this. https://stronglifts.com/build-muscle/?fbclid=IwAR0ZDu55P1bBMcSq6pnKHbi9cYxRz0PzLM-V-sxjeWJXQ9dzCNbNQcHIEEU

Nutrition

I wish I had some stuff to say about my nutrition, but I don’t. I will never be a bodybuilder; I lack the mental fortitude to diet right. I generally don’t eat like shit all the time, I don’t really eat sweets or drink any soda. I do drink alcohol usually once a week.

Supplements

I pretty much exclusively use Kaged Muscle products. Kris Gethin is my fitness idol. I believe they have phenomenal products.

If anyone has any more questions please ask them. I’m sure I missed a few things. My biggest piece of advice is to just get into a regiment, don’t miss any training days, and always perform at your best! There are no shitty days in the gym, make the weights your bitch and get after it!

submitted by /u/JanMichaelVincent7
[link] [comments]

* This article was originally published here

No comments:

Post a Comment

No time to workout? These six health hacks show how to incorporate exercise into daily life - Irish Independent

No time to workout? These six health hacks show how to incorporate exercise into daily life    Irish Independent * This article was origina...